All pure cotton items will be organic by 2025, with 20,000 farmers supported to convert to organic production. We plan to convert all remaining cotton in our collections to organic by 2030.

72% of the products Superdry bought in 2021 contained cotton, which remains the largest single material we use.

Accelerating our targets, 65% of our cotton garments will contain organic cotton by 2025, including all ‘pure cotton’ products. We have already converted our Underwear, Basic Non-Printed Tees and Polo categories to organic.

This represents 5.9 million individual garments made using organic cotton - representing 30% of all cotton garments, or 25% of our overall cotton footprint (measured in tons) to organic cotton. 

We have also made commitments to start using cotton in conversion and recycled cotton through our ranges from FY22 onwards.

 

Our Original & Vintage collection remains a core leader in converting T-Shirts, Sweats and Underwear, and will drive significant organic volume to 2025.

To ensure we continue to give our consumers more choice, we have also significantly grown sustainable content in our ‘Studios’ collection with 39% of the range now converted to organic cotton; we are targeting to expand this to 90% in FY22 and 100% by 2025.

 

100% of factories supplying organic cotton are certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and/or Organic Content Standard (OCS).

34% of our total factory base GOTS Certified, with an additional 9% to OCS Certified. 

This year we sourced almost one fifth of our organic cotton direct from our Superdry supported farmers. This cotton is fully traceable back to source (i.e. farm), through our partnerships with suppliers and mills who produce our Underwear, Vintage Logo and Woven collections.  We have entered into validated agreements upfront to secure the supply of organic cotton when farmers sow their seed – these agreements are overseen by the Organic Cotton Accelerator (OCA).

 

Farming practices used in organic agriculture, such as crop rotation, green manure, composting, reduced tillage, and the recycling of crop residue, can help increase the amount of organic matter – including carbon – in the soil. As a result, soil structure is improved and soil erosion is reduced, making nutrients more easily available to the crops while also increasing the abundance of soil fauna.

- Textile Exchange, Organic Cotton Market Report 2021

 

 

Recycled, low impact materials

In addition to moving to 100% Organic Cotton, we will be introducing recycled and low impact alternatives at scale across our non-cotton ranges by 2030.

 

36% of our non-cotton product in 2021 contained recycled or low impact content. This includes all padding in our heavyweight jackets moving to recycled fibres, with all lightweight casual jackets converted from FY22.
    
Consisting of various materials - our remaining 49% of total material footprint was non-cotton; this includes synthetics (43%), wider cellulosic fibres (3%), and other fibres including leather, down and wools (3%).  Based on what we know so far, there are clear low impact alternatives for 80% of this volume. But we won’t stop there, and we’ll continue to challenge ourselves and the industry to seek low impact alternatives and innovate to address the remaining 20%.
         
We are using Tencel in more products throughout our range, alongside linen and hemp which are proven to have a lower water and carbon footprint.

                

Sustainable Materials Library

In 2021 we launched our Sustainable Materials Library, a hub of information on each Sustainably Sourced material we use in our range. Using industry benchmarked data collated from the HIGG Index, we detail each sustainable element. You can access the library here.

Recycled polyester fill requires 40% less energy to make and means that we aren’t reliant on virgin plastics, whilst still being just as soft and warm for the wearer.

To achieve scale and to ensure we were using post-consumer waste, we consolidated our supply chain and traced the recycled polyester fill back to the source to household recycling plants located in China.

In 2022 we will be extending our recycled programme to our Swimwear collection.

100% of factories supplying recycled padding or recycled fabrics to Superdry are certified to Global Recycling Standard (GRS) and/or Recycled Content Standard (RCS). 

Read More

Net Zero Carbon Emissions

View more

Packaging and Waste

View more

Water and Chemical Compliance

View more