Superdry has set a commitment to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2030.

Since the Industrial Revolution, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions have contributed to atmospheric warming that has lifted global temperatures by around 1.1⁰c. Without an ambitious decarbonisation plan, the projected global temperature rise is over 4⁰c by 2050 – with disastrous consequences to both people and the planet.

Our net zero plan supports the Paris Agreement, aligned with the UN Fashion Charter for Climate Action and the British Retail Consortium’s Climate Action Roadmap, to work towards limiting temperature rise to 1.5⁰c.

As a fashion brand, we understand that around 70% of our emissions come from upstream activities like materials production, preparation and processing; with the remaining 30% associated with downstream retail operations, the use-phase, and end-of-use activities.

We are already making changes to how we operate. Recognising the strides so far, we topped the Financial Times Europe Climate Leaders league table in 2021 for our 97% reduction in direct carbon intensity (Scopes 1 & 2) between 2014 and 2021. We have also achieved a 41% reduction in our total Scope 1, 2 & 3 emissions. 

 

How will we achieve Net Zero?

 

Reducing our emissions

By focusing our efforts on energy efficiency between 2014 and 2020 we reduced our global energy footprint (per square metre) by 35% in our own stores and offices. 

We have also converted to 100% renewable electricity across our own retail stores, offices and two out of our three main third-party distribution centres, but we are also conscious that we must challenge ourselves to continue to reduce consumption.

Over the next three years we have committed to a million-pound investment into two tried and tested technologies: LED lighting and Building Management Systems (BMS). Since 2014 we’ve installed BMS in 55% and LED in 45% of our own retail estate, reducing our electricity use by 35% – equivalent to 13 million kWh – also saving 3,900 tonnes of CO2e each year.

We will now maximise this with installations across 100% of our sites and main distribution warehouses, fully optimising energy and reducing electricity consumption by a further 25% from where we are today.

We are also making significant reductions by making better decisions.

By scrutinising how we move our garments from factory to warehouse, we have more than halved our airfreight over the last two years and will be setting a maximum cap of 2% of our production from FY22 onwards. We are now working to set further targets to reduce our wider Scope 3 emissions.

 

Converting to renewable energy

The impact of using energy, however much it is, can further be reduced by converting the source of energy to zero/low carbon alternatives.

We’ve used 100% renewable electricity across all owned retail stores and offices since 2017. This continues to drive our significant savings when calculating our carbon emissions using market-based methodologies. We have extended our targets to include our third-party distribution centres (‘DCs’) and global consolidation hubs. We have already converted two out of the three largest DCs to renewable electricity with the final warehouse converting this year, and will be extending our renewable energy targets to our thirteen global consolidation centres this year.

Overall we 84% of the energy we use across our own operations (stores and offices), DCs and global consolidation hubs is renewable. Our target is to reach 90% by the end of FY22.

 

Offsetting our remaining emissions

Our current focus is on reduction and conversion; we will be looking for opportunities to support meaningful offsetting programmes closer to our 2030 goal.

We know there are a lot of opportunities; once we have explored every opportunity to reduce and convert, we will then ensure that we offset any remaining carbon through meaningful and impactful collaborations.

 

Setting a Science Based Target (SBT)

Over the next two years our priority is to map all Scope 3 emissions (beyond the five categories reported to date). We will use this to set a Science Based Target (‘SBT’) to ensure our decarbonisation pathway is aligned with a 1.5°c temperature rise.

 

For full information on our emissions and energy usage, including mandatory disclosures, please refer to Our Sustainability Performance section within our FY21 Annual Report

Read More

Net Zero Carbon Emissions

View more